Wednesday, October 28, 2009


Okay. I'm going to try to get through this. Today I was cooking and baking all sorts of things. I had a burner hot because I made hard boiled eggs and I had just taken a tray of chicken out of the oven and put it on the stove to cool. Then I remembered its my friend Erin's birthday tomorrow so I decided to make a cake for her. I made a double batch of chocolate chocolate cake and got out my favorite cake pan-an 8 inch springform-and greased it. I put in on the stove in front of the pan of chicken and poured the batter into it. When I put the mixing bowl in the sink and went to pick up the pan and put it in the oven I heard a strange sound.

It was a soft sound, but it gave me a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. It was the sound of the spring on the springform pan breaking.

The sides of the pan came up with my hands and the bottom stayed on the stove. So did the double batch of cake batter. Which proceeded to ooze to the right and burn to the still very hot burner. And to the rear to mingle with my baked chicken. And to the front.

All. The. Way. Down. To. The. Floor.

Now, maybe you have some experience with this, but I'm not really sure the best way to scoop up a double batch of cake batter from the hot stove and the floor. I'm still not sure how I did it but I know my washing machine is full of chocolately towels. And after I got it all cleaned up and I was putting the next pan full of cake successfully in the oven I noticed it. The insult to the injury. A lone drip down the inside of the oven window. Deep in the middle where it can never ever be cleaned. Mocking me.


Amanda B. said...

Oh, this is hilarious only to people other than you, I am sure! :) I was really worried when I read your status on FB and had to come check it out! Sorry for the loss of your pan! As a fellow baker (though no where near as good as you...), that would be a tough loss!! :) I didn't know you had a blog- and, if you dont' mind, I will add it to my blogroll. I have one too if you feel like checking it out!

pwells said...

It could have been worse - the pan could have broken in the hot oven, where you would not have heard it immediately, and you would have had a horrible mess charred, seared, and burned all over the insides of your oven.

Erin said...

Yuck! But still a little funny.